Truth, Love and Eternity

SanAgustin by Baltasar del Aguila

Today is the feast day of St. Augustine. If there is any saint who gives me great hope, it is Augustine. His early life reads like a soap opera, but thanks to God's grace, his mother, St. Monica's prayers and the preaching of St. Ambrose, Augustine not only converts to practice the Catholic faith, but would go on to become Bishop of Hippo and a Doctor of the Church.

Each year on his feast day, the Order of Readings has us read an excerpt from St. Augustine's Confessions. It is one of the most beautiful writings in the entire book, as well as one of my favorites. As someone who left her faith for many years and then returned, I can relate to Augustine's words in this excerpt. I've read it many times, but glean something new with each reading.
Urged to reflect upon myself, I entered under your guidance into the inmost depth of my soul. I was able to do so because you were my helper.

When I read those opening lines today, I stayed there for awhile. If we allow Him to, God will send His Holy Spirit upon each of us~ to guide us into prayerful introspection. It is not always easy and what we see there is not always pretty, but God who is absolute Truth, loves us enough to guide us to self~knowledge to see ourselves as He sees us. He will also give us the grace to act on what He reveals so that we can spend Eternity with Him. St. Augustine came to know this, and he has shared it with us through his writings.

Take some time today to prayerfully read and reflect on Augustine's O Eternal Truth, True Love, and Beloved Eternity. Then go and meet our loving God in the inmost depth of your soul. Ask Him to reveal all that He desires you to see there.  It made Augustine a saint; it will do the same for each of us.

St. Augustine, pray for us!

Comments